What Goes Under the Tree for the Grieving?
You may have people in your circle of family or friends who have been processing the pain of the death of a loved one. What kind of gift would be appropriate and demonstrate your genuine care for them? Here are a few suggestions. If you know of other ideas, please post them so more people can benefit.
12 Gift Options for Grieving Friends or Family
- Give a Memory Bear. This is a stuffed bear created from the clothing of the deceased person. It becomes a tangible way to hug the memories of the one we love. If you aren’t up to making one yourself, here is a resource of someone who can do it for you. https://memorybearsbybonnie.wordpress.com Bonnie Coit is a Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing Assistant who makes beautiful memory bears. If the bear idea doesn’t work for them, maybe a pillow is a good alternative.
- Give “Time Together” Gift Certificates that are good for the year to come. Create a small booklet of things you can plan to do with your grieving friend or family member throughout the year to come. A few suggestions are: A Golfing Day, A Walk on the Beach, Lunch Out, A Trip to the Zoo, Dinner Out, A Fishing Trip, A Coffee or Tea Date, etc.
- Give a Gift Certificate for a massage, or several massages for the year to come
- Give a framed picture of their deceased loved one
- Create a digital or scrap book photo album
- Write a story about the loved one. Shutterfly or other digital print companies have good templates to create this type of memory book.
- Give a donation to an appropriate charity in memory of their loved one.
- Give the gift of grief coaching ~ pay for a designated number of sessions
- Give Flowers throughout the coming year, especially for special anniversaries
- Give a mental escape through great uplifting or humorous books
- Give your own time and talent to provide for house cleaning assistance once a month or arrange for a professional house cleaner.
- Give quality books on grieving such as Comfort for the Day ~ This Scripture guided journal book becomes the reader’s story of how God faithfully brings hope and healing to their broken heart.
Whatever gift you give to the grieving this year, I trust it will be given with sincere care and love. May the blessings of Christmas be in abundance for you and those you support during this season.